Quick Facts about MBBS in USA
Recognition of Universities by: World Health Organization (WHO), United Nations Organization (UNO), Foundation for Advancement of International, Medical Education and Research (FAIMER), Medical Council of India (MCI)
Language of Instruction: English
MBBS Course Duration: 4 years
Food: Mess facilities available at university hostels
Living Cost: 66,000 Rupees per month (approx.)
Climate: Average Temperature is +13 °C; Average Annual Rainfall is 40.78 inch
Airport: Almost every country has several international airports
Total Fees: 6,000,000 Rupees for 4 years (approx.)
MBBS Course Structure: The first 2 years are focussed on study and laboratory training. In the last 2 years, clinical experience is offered where students work with Physicians and get trained.
Application Deadline: Mid of December
Admission Procedure: Entrance Exam
Seeking admission in medical colleges of USA is comparatively a long process than medical admissions in India. The student first must complete the ‘pre-medical’ course (bachelor degree) and after that the process of MBBS in USA begins. A time period of 4 years is required to get the degree of Doctor of Medicine (MD) in USA, which is equal to MBBS in India. The 4 years of MBBS in USA (MD) comprises of two parts:
- Pre-clinical, including theoretical and practical studies
- Clinical, including clerkship or internship in distinct areas
Application Procedure for MBBS in USA:
Medical institutions and universities in USA have a very streamlined process. The first step is to fill out the forms and send the application to as many universities as the student wishes to. The student should keep in mind that the intake rate of international students in medical universities of USA is very low.
For getting into MBBS in USA, the student must appear for Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) and score during their graduation years. It is a computer based test which takes between 4 to 5 hours to complete and tests the knowledge of science, reasoning, and writing skills. Student can appear for MCAT thrice in a year and there are unlimited attempts.
With the right MCAT score, the student can start filling the application form. Most medical institutions and universities in USA encourage students to apply through American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS). The student has to attach letters of recommendation along with the application. Only few universities (mostly private) accept international students for MBBS in USA and that too with limited scholarships or financial aids.
Medical Education System in USA:
The education system for MBBS in USA is completely different from that in India. Such as:
- MBBS is known as MD (Doctor of Medicine) in USA.
- A student is qualified for MD after completing 4-years bachelor degree.
- After completing MD, a student must complete a residency program and apply in their respective areas of specialization which is usually of 3-4 years, depending upon the specialization chosen by the student. For instance, Paediatrics consists of 3 years after the completion of medical school while it takes 5 years for the General Surgeon and almost 7 years for the Neurosurgeon.
- The students are given positions with the help of a National Computer Matching, which pairs candidate’s preference or choice with the applicant’s preference of program.
Benefits of Studying MBBS in USA:
- Good quality of education.
- American medical institutions and universities have a remarkable reputation all around the globe.
- Doctors from USA are respected everywhere in the world and have great demand.
- A licensed Medical Practitioner in USA can work anywhere in USA or Europe or in India without clearing any additional exams like MCI Screening Test.