Everything to know about studying MBBS in the UK
In the UK, medicine is considered one of the most competitive exams. The medicine study is offered in the UK as MB or Bachelors of Medicine in the form of BC, BS, BAO, and ChB, where all the four are equivalent to each other. They deal with the major fields of medical study, which include surgery, medicine, and obstetrics. If you are a student in India and are planning to pursue medicine study in the UK, you must score 50 percentiles in NEET to sit right to apply for the MBBS at the universities of the UK.
After you have successfully graduated and obtained a degree in medicine from any reputed university in the UK, you can successfully carry on your career as a doctor back in your country in India.
The overall course structure of MBBS in the UK varies a little from that of India. Here, students who have a passion for obstetrics must pass the obstetrics portion of the exam, and the students who successfully qualified for this exam will be able to get the degree known as BAO or Bachelors of Obstetrics.
The following are the eligibility requirements that the student must
- The candidate should be of 18 years of age or above before applying for the MBBS program in the UK
- The candidate should score high marks in subjects such as Biology, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics to the MBBS course
- The candidate needs to qualify for IELTS
- Candidate must qualify for the Biomedical Admission Test, UK clinical aptitude test, or GAMSAT gets scores.
The following are the documents required:
- Passport size photographs
- Statement of purpose
- Invitation letter
- Work experience letter with a recommendation from supervisors
- Copy of valid passport
- Attested copies of 10th and 12th mark sheet
- Proof of financial funds
- Photocopy of IELTS/UKCAT/BMAT scores
Process of VISA application
The following are the process involved under applying for the student VISA:
- Passport and its photocopy
- Latest photograph
- Proof of English proficiency
- Consent letter from university or college
- Proof of financial condition
- For Swiss or non-Eu students, they may be required for an additional ATAS certificate
Entry points for undergraduate MBBS program
The following are the three major entry points for the undergraduate MBBS program in the universities of the UK:
- Standard Entry– This is for students who have directly finished their senior secondary (12th grade). The course duration is 5-6 years
- Graduate Entry – This is for students who have graduated in a related subject. The course duration is 4-5 years
- Preliminary Entry – This is for the students who do not feet right in the eligibility requirements. The course duration is around 6 years.
In terms of postgraduate, the duration of the medicine courses is somewhere around two years.
Thus, the UK is a well-known country for offering medical education across the globe where the students are provided professional training in the National Health Services by the experts. So, if you fit right in the eligibility requirements, you must apply for studying MBBS in the UK.