Foreign Medical Graduate Examination (FMGE EXAM) 2023
The FMGE exam is a crucial step for foreign medical graduates seeking to practice medicine in India and serves as a measure of their proficiency in the field.
The Foreign Medical Graduates Examination (FMGE) is a screening test conducted by the National Board of Examination (NBE) for foreign medical graduates who wish to practice medicine in India. Now this test will be replaced by next year by NEXT Exam which is subdivided by NEXT 1 and NEXT 2
FMGE exam assesses the candidate’s knowledge and understanding of basic medical sciences, clinical sciences, and other related disciplines.
Preparing for the FMGE exam can be a daunting task, but with the right approach, candidates can increase their chances of success. This article aims to provide candidates with all the necessary information and resources required to prepare for the exam efficiently.
In this article, we will discuss the FMGE exam in detail, including eligibility criteria, FMGE registration, step-by-step registration process, and required documents.
Table of Contents
|FMGE Quick Highlights|
|Eligibility||Must be citizen of India|
|Conducted by||National board of examination|
|Exempted countries||Australia, Canada, New Zealand, USA, UK|
|Passing criteria||150 marks out of 300|
|Exam pattern||300 MCQ'S|
|Duration||2 hours 30 min|
The eligibility criteria for the FMGE exam are as follows:
- Citizenship: To be eligible for the FMGE exam, the candidate must be a citizen of India or an Overseas Citizen of India (OCI).
- Primary Medical Qualification: The candidate must possess a primary medical qualification from a recognized medical institution outside India.
- Duration of Study: The candidate must have completed the required period of study, including an internship, as per the regulations of the medical institution they graduated from.
- Document Verification: The candidate must have a valid document to prove their medical qualification, which the NBE will verify.
Exemption for Certain Candidates
Not all candidates are required to take the FMGE Exam 2022. Some candidates are exempt from it based on their educational background. If a candidate has completed their MBBS abroad and post-graduation from a university situated in certain developed countries, they will be exempted from the December session of the Foreign Medical Graduate Exam conducted by the National Board of Examination.
The countries that are eligible for exemption are Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, and the United States of America. Candidates who meet the exemption criteria will receive a permanent or provisional certificate from the National Medical Commission/NMC or the state medical council, allowing them to practice medicine in India without taking the FMGE exam.
This exemption provides a significant advantage to eligible candidates, saving them the time and effort required to prepare for and take the FMGE exam. It also provides an opportunity for candidates to practice medicine in India without any additional hurdles, allowing them to focus on their careers and make a meaningful contribution to society.
FMGE Registration (December Session 2022)
The registration process for the FMGE December session 2022 is expected to begin in October or November 2022, and interested candidates can register online through the official website of NBE. The registration fee for FMGE is INR 5,500, and candidates can pay the fee through online mode via credit card, debit card, or net banking.
Step-by-Step Registration Process:
The following is a step-by-step guide for candidates to register for the FMGE exam:
Step 1: Visit the official website of NBE and click on the ‘FMGE’ tab on the homepage.
Step 2: Click on the ‘Registration’ tab and enter your personal details, including your name, date of birth, email address, and phone number.
Step 3: Upload scanned copies of your passport-sized photograph and signature in the specified format.
Step 4: Enter your educational details, including your primary medical qualification, the name of the institution, and the duration of the study.
Step 5: Select the examination centre of your choice from the available options.
Step 6: Pay the registration fee using the online payment mode.
Step 7: Submit the registration form and take a printout of the confirmation page for future reference.
The following are the documents that candidates must upload during the registration process:
- Passport-sized photograph: The candidate must upload a recent passport-sized photograph in JPEG format.
- Signature: The candidate must upload their signature in JPEG format.
- Primary medical qualification certificate: The candidate must upload a scanned copy of their primary medical qualification certificate in PDF format.
- Proof of completing the required period of study, including the internship: The candidate must upload a scanned copy of their document verifying their completion of the required period of study and internship in PDF format.
- Passport or OCI card: The candidate must upload a scanned copy of their passport or OCI card in PDF format.
The FMGE exam is a computer-based test consisting of 300 multiple-choice questions (MCQs) that are divided into two parts, with a duration of 2 hours and 30 minutes each. The exam is conducted in English, and there is no negative marking for incorrect answers. The exam covers topics such as anatomy, biochemistry, microbiology, pharmacology, pathology, physiology, forensic medicine, and community medicine.
The passing criteria for the FMGE exam are as follows:
- The candidate must obtain a minimum of 150 marks out of 300 to pass the exam.
- The candidate must score a minimum of 50% marks in each of the two parts of the exam to pass
- If a candidate fails to obtain the minimum passing marks, they will be required to reappear for the exam in the next session.
- The passing certificate will be valid only for a period of three years from the date of issue.
FMGE Results 2022
The results for the FMGE 2022 exam are expected to be available on the official website of the National Board of Examination a few weeks after the exam, which is scheduled for June 18. Candidates who meet the cut-off criteria will be shortlisted and granted provisional registration from the National Medical Commission or state medical council.
To download the results, candidates need to visit the NBE’s official website and access the active results link, which will be available once the exam-conducting body releases the results. The results will be in PDF format, and candidates can download and print their scorecards for future reference.
FMGE cutoff for 2022
The FMGE cutoff for 2022 states that a candidate who scores a minimum of 50% marks and solves at least 150 questions out of the total 300 questions will be considered qualified or passed. The exam duration is five hours, during which candidates must solve 300 multiple-choice questions spread across two papers, covering important topics from the syllabus.
Tips for Preparation:
- Familiarise Yourself with the Syllabus: It is essential to understand the syllabus of the FMGE exam thoroughly. The syllabus includes various topics such as anatomy, biochemistry, pharmacology, pathology, and community medicine. You can download the syllabus from the official website of the National Board of Examinations (NBE) and use it as a reference while preparing for the exam.
- Develop a Study Plan: To prepare for the exam efficiently, it is important to develop a study plan that includes a study schedule, breaks, and revision periods. It will help you stay organized and focused on your goals.
- Use Study Materials: Use study materials such as textbooks, online resources, and mock tests to aid your preparation. It will help you gain a better understanding of the topics and assess your knowledge.
- Take Mock Tests: Taking mock tests is an effective way to evaluate your progress and identify your strengths and weaknesses. It will also help you improve your time management skills and familiarize yourself with the exam pattern.
- Practice Regularly: Regular practice is the key to success in the FMGE exam. Practice solving MCQs regularly to improve your speed and accuracy.
- Revise Thoroughly: Revision is an essential part of exam preparation. Revise the topics regularly and ensure that you understand them thoroughly.
MBBS in Russia FAQs
Is the FMGE exam difficult?
The FMGE exam is considered to be a challenging exam, and the passing rate is relatively low. However, with proper preparation and hard work, it is possible to pass the exam.
What is the passing percentage for the FMGE exam?
The passing percentage for the FMGE exam is 50%. The candidate must obtain a minimum of 150 marks out of 300 to pass the exam.
Can a candidate reappear for the FMGE exam if they fail?
Yes, a candidate can reappear for the FMGE exam in the next session if they fail to pass the exam.
Is there any negative marking in the FMGE exam?
No, there is no negative marking for incorrect answers in the FMGE exam
Is it necessary to clear the FMGE exam to practice medicine in India?
Yes, foreign medical graduates must clear the FMGE exam to obtain a license to practice medicine in India.