- January 18, 2019
- Posted by: MBBSDIRECT Editorial
- Category: MBBS in Russia
Irkutsk State Medical University, Russia
Irkutsk State Medical University (ISMU) is a non-profit public higher education institution based out of Irkutsk which is officially recognized by the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation.
This university, ISMU,has an enrolment range of 3,000-3,999 students each year and offers education degrees such as bachelor degrees, master degrees, doctorate degrees along with state of the art facilities.
It came up as a medical department in Physics and Mathematics Faculty of Irkutsk State University in 1919, and in the year 1920, it became a separate faculty. Later in the year 1930, the Medical Faculty of the Irkutsk State University became independent institution which is referred to as Irkutsk State Medical Institute.
Establishment of Faculties
- In 1952 Irkutsk State Medical Institute opened the dental faculty – Irkutsk Dental Institute.
- In 1982 Irkutsk State Medical Institute opened the paediatric faculty.
In order to access the quality of training,this institution in 1992 passed the state certification conducted by the State Inspectorate. And after this in May 1995, it became a University.
Faculty & Student Count
In the last 50 years, Irkutsk State Medical University has produced over 500 doctors who are serving people in 25 countries including Middle East, Africa, Europe and Latin America.
There are 63 departments in which training is imparted here by highly professional teaching staff. This includes 100 doctors and 364 candidates of sciences.
At present, the university has 19 faculties and over 18,000 students. Till date, Irkutsk State Medical University has trained more than 11000 medical students.
The university is known for the kind of facilities it offers to students of higher studies and research as well as training. Its laboratories and observatories are state of the art. Moreover, the buildings of the university play an important role from the point of view of archaeology given the fact that most of these were built in the 18th and 19th centuries.
Students are allowed to take up specialised courses and carry out internships in scientific research institutes under ISU and the Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences. This helps in overall development of senior students. Not just this, they are also encouraged to practice practical work in the university laboratories under the guidance of famous scientists, professors, learned professionals of the institution.
The university has twin and triple sharing basis rooms in hostels and internet facility for residents. Other facilities comprise – basketball courts, volleyball team, tennis court, etc.
The faculties under the medicine study are:
- The Faculty of Medicine: this course is of 6 years in duration and degree offered is of Doctor of Medicine.
- The Faculty of Paediatrics: this course is of 6 years in duration and degree provided is of Doctor of Paediatrics.
- The Faculty of Preventive Medicine: this course completes in 6 years giving the degree of Doctor of Preventive Medicine.
- The Faculty of Dentistry:this is a 5 year course that offers the degree of Doctor of Dentistry.
- The Faculty of Pharmacy:this is a 5 yearcourse that offers the degree of Doctor of Pharmacy.
- The Faculty of Public Health Management, Law in Medicine and Medical Biochemistry:this course completes in 4 years and degree conferred is of Doctor of Public Health Management.
The Faculty of Preliminary Training: offering a 10-month course, this faculty proffers a primary level of training to students of all the faculties mentioned above. It includes training in Russian, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics and elective groups.