Semmelweis University was established in 1769. It is a medical school that focuses on research. It is one of the leading universities of medicine and health sciences found in Hungary, and in the Central European Region. The medium of study of the medical faculty at the time was Hungarian, though other faculties taught in German or Hungarian. The launch of English classes took place in 1989. In 1950, the university started accepting foreign students. Semmelweis University got its name in 2000 after the merging of Semmelweis University of Medicine with the Imre Haynal University of Health Sciences and the University of Physical Education.
University at a Glance:
Established: Founded in 1769
University Type: Public University
Number of International Students: 30% of total students
Hostel Type: University Hostel
Climate: Warm dry summers, cold winters
Yearly Tuition Fee: USD 17,500
Eligibility: TOEFL Exam
ECFMG Approval: Not Approved
Last Date to Apply: September
Eligibility to study MBBS in Semmelweis University, Hungary
MBBS is popularly known as General Medicine. Therefore, students seeking to study General Medicine at Semmelweis University, Hungary must qualify for admission. The qualifications for studying General Medicine in this Institution include:
1) The student must appear in the National Eligibility Entrance Test (NEET) Medical assessment.
2) The aspirant must score up to 50% in Physics, Biology, and Chemistry.
3) Applicant must be up to 17 years old as of December 31 of that academic year.
4) The student must submit a medical certificate and health insurance documents.
5) The student must have no criminal report.
Request a Call Back
Reasons to join Semmelweis University, Hungary
- 24/7/365 accessibility of Internet network
- Binding books and photocopy amenities
- Sports arena and playground
- Comfy library amenities
- Transportation and Medical Amenities
- 100% Tight Security
- Canteen provisions
- Advanced labs
- Affiliated medical centers
- Recreational area
- Affordable fee structure
- Friendly and secure campus
- Medical labs for enhancing the necessary skills and excellence
- University takes care of students in a friendly manner
- It holds a researchers Salon every month for scholars and talented young researchers.
- Students have access to the annual Student’s Association Conference.
- Every September a pool party is organized for students to socialize.
Cost of Education At Semmelweis University, Hungary
Overview of Semmelweis University, Hungary
The rector of the university is Dr. Bela Merkely. He is aided by a chancellor and 5 vice-rectors: Vice-rector for General Affairs, Educational affairs, Science and innovation, Clinical Affairs and for strategy and development. The university does not have a campus, but instead, has faculties, departments, clinics, hospitals, libraries, sports, and accommodation facilities scattered all over Budapest.
The university’s theoretical building is the tallest high rise in Hungary and houses a student center, several research institutions, conference halls, auditoriums and the office of the student’s union. The school has international relations with networks across 5 continents.
The university has a total of 6 Faculties. They include Faculty of Health and Public Services, Faculty of Dentistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, Faculty of Medicine, Faculty of Education and Sports Sciences. The length of the Bachelors program is 8 semesters, and that of Master’s program is 3 semesters.
The largest event for students includes the academic year opening ceremony and graduation ceremony. Other events are freshers camp, fresher’s ball, and spring festival. Several school sites and buildings are located in the Hungarian capital city allowing students to experience the colorful and vibrant cultural life.
Accommodation is available for students at several dormitories.