University of Massachusetts Medical School | MBBS in USA
The University of Massachusetts Medical School is located in Worcester Massachusetts. The public medical university is home to three schools; School of Medicine, Graduate School of Medical Sciences and the Graduate School of Nursing. An act of Massachusetts Legislature led to the establishment of the school in 1962. This was to offer residents of Commonwealth an opportunity to study in an affordable institution. It also led to the increase in number of primary healthcare physicians practicing in Commonwealth undeserved areas.
In 1970, the school of medicine accepted its first students who were 16 in number. In 1976 a 371-bed hospital was established on the campus. In 1979, the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences was opened. In 1986, the Graduate School of Nursing was opened. UMass Memorial Healthcare was established in 1998 after the merging of UMMS System of Hospitals and Clinics and Memorial Healthcare.
University Quick View
Established: Founded in 1962
University Type: Public University
Number of International Students: Less than 28,635
Hostel Type: Private Hostel
Climate: Humid summers, snowy winters
Yearly Tuition Fee: USD 36,030
Eligibility: 3.15 GPA
ECFMG Approval: Approved
Last Date to Apply: 12th January 2020
Eligibility to study MBBS in USA University of Massachusetts Medical School
In USA, MBBS is popularly known as General Medicine. Therefore, students seeking to study General Medicine at Thomas Jefferson University must qualify for admission. The qualifications for studying General Medicine in this Institution include:
1) The student must appear in the National Eligibility Entrance Test (NEET) Medical assessment.
2) The aspirant must score up to 50% in Physics, Biology, and Chemistry.
3) Applicant must be up to 17 years old as of December 31 of that academic year.
4) The student must submit a medical certificate and health insurance documents.
5) The student must have no criminal report.
Request a Call Back
Reasons to Join University of Massachusetts Medical School
- 24/7/365 accessibility of Internet network
- Binding books and photocopy amenities
- Sports arena and playground
- Comfy library amenities
- Transportation and Medical Amenities
- 100% Tight Security
- Canteen provisions
- Advanced labs
- Affiliated medical centers
- Recreational area
- The research center has both the Engineering and Design Institute and the Laboratory for Engineered Human Protection.
Cost of Education at University of Massachusetts Medical School
The School of Medicine has received accreditation from the Liaison Committee on Medical education. The school has also gained a national reputation for its primary care program. The school is affiliated to four community hospitals which include Clinton Hospital in Clinton, Health Alliance Hospital in Fitchburg and Leominster, Marlborough hospital in Marlborough and Wing Memorial Hospital in Palmer.
The university consists of three schools which include School of Medicine, Graduate School of Medical Sciences and the Graduate School of Nursing.
The Lamar Soutter library in the school was named in Lamar Soutter who was the founding dean of the School of Medicine. It contains more than 288,000 books. It is the only public medical library located in the state. The school also has Albert Sherman Center and Aaron Lazare Medical research Building.
The university does not offer student accommodation; however, students find housing within the community. Students access housing with the help of a housing board that’s near the student lounge.
Why Should I Study at University of Massachusetts Medical School?
- More than 300 students have earned their PhD from he Graduate school of Biomedical Sciences.
- Through the establishment of Albert Sherman Center, the school entered a new era of medical education and biomedical research.